- This event has passed.
XR Oxford Art-Science Extravaganza
28th September 2019
Join us for an extravaganza in collaboration with the Oxford University Museum of Natural History, with mass actions and talks taking local public awareness of the climate crisis to a new level.
- Young people in costume representing endangered species
- Ecological scientists engaging with the public on biodiversity loss and extinction
- ‘Heading for Extinction’ Talks throughout the day
- A huge multimedia performance action led by musicians and dancers, about ecological breakdown caused by the palm oil industry
We are collaborating with the Museum for this event, so there is no arrest risk for this action. It will be very family-friendly.
Email: XROxfordArts@gmail.com – to take part in the performance actions or to get involved with helping on the day.
- Event start: 10:30 – Welcome Performance & Talk
In collaboration with the Sumatran Orangutan Society (SOS), the Welcome Performance highlights life threatening deforestation caused by unsustainable palm oil production. SOS will also launch its campaign to make Oxford a Sustainable Palm Oil City.
- Welcome Performance: 10:30 – 10:50
- XR Talk: Heading for Extinction (and what to do about it) 11:00 – 12:15
- End of Talk Performance Action 12:15 – 12:30
The Welcome performance will be repeated at 14:00, with the second Heading for Extinction talk at 14:30 ending with the final End of Talk performance action at 15:45
A diverse programme of activities has been designed to communicate the climate and ecological crises:
- Conservation Optimism: showing conservation success stories from around the world 12:30 – 14:00
- Masked Intervention by XR Youth & School Strike members 11:30 – 16:00
- Story telling for children and adults (approx 15 mins) 11:00 and 15:15
- Story telling for children (approx 15 mins) 11:30 and 14:30
- Poetry Reading (Museum Poets) 12:45 – 13:45
- ‘Lets talk about Climate’ OUMNH Workshop for 15-19 year-olds – 10:00 – 14:00
- XR Active Hope Workshop 13:00 – 14:00
- Oxford’s first Citizen’s Assembly 14:10 – 15:10
- Low Carbon West Oxford & Kids Climate Action Network: Talking to kids about climate change in a safe and empowering way. 14:30 – 15:30
- Introduction to XR 15:30 – 16:30
Drop in sessions
- Sumatran Orangutan Society: (SOS)
- Sustainable Palm Oil City, Oxford 10:30 – 16:00
- Bumble bee activities for primary age 11:00 – 16:00
- Draw Heat Burn Art making workshop 11:00 – 16:00
- Animation workshop for young people 12:45 – 16:00